Thursday, January 29, 2004

When I was in elementary school, my pappaw (grandfather) used to take me to church to this thing called royal ambassadors. I really have no idea what it really meant or what it was about. All I know is that we would build the cars and race them down a track. Mine very rarely won because my wheels always seemed to be crooked. I can't really tell you anything else about what we did or what I learned because it really all seems to be a bit of a blur (as many things are now days.)

It seems to me that this is the case for many of us today when we see the word "ambassador." We really aren't sure what it means or what it looks like. Some of us picture a political ambassador. Some, like me, picture some type of church organization. I had not thought much about this word until I had a conversation with my siblings in the Faith this past weekend in Lubbock. Mark, Berry, Justin, and I drove down to pick up some furniture. Before we headed back this way, we ate lunch with Shane and his wife Amanda. As they often do, our conversations seemed to bounce in many directions, and God seemed to be saying, "what about this...have you ever thought about that?" So, it was cool to hear what the Lord was speaking to each of our hearts. One of the discussions that seemed to be quite stimulating involved the aforementioned word, "ambassadors." Shane was sharing with us some insights about a John Wimber tape that he had been listening to, and I'm not really sure how it came around to the topic of ambassadors, but it eventually did. There were some interesting insights that were discussed and some I have thought of since then that I'd like to invite you to chew on...

"Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God." (2 Cor. 5:20)

--An ambassador is one who represents someone else. Therefore, if we are ambassadors for Christ, we are not here for the sake of our own identity. We are not here to protect our own identity. We are here to protect the identity of Christ. He is the one we represent.

--An ambassador is not a citizen of the place he/she is an ambassador to. For example, if my citizenship is in America, but I am an ambassador to Israel, then I am not a citizen of that particular place. My citizenship is only in America. Therefore, everything I do, must be done in such a way as that I never lose sight of where my true citizenship exists. I may do things in such a way as that they will make sense to the particular place I am an ambassador to, but I do not LIVE there. I may learn the language and the customs, but I must always remember that those things are only for the purpose of better communicating the message I have been sent with. In the same way, we have been sent as ambassadors of the King. It is as if God makes His plea through us. It is His message, but we must learn was to communicate in such a way that it will be understood by those who receive the message. However, in the midst of all of this, we must realize that our citizenship is not of this land. We an not residents of "this world." We are residents of the kingdom. We are truly aliens and strangers (1 Pet. 2:11). Since we are ambassadors of the King, we are in a foreign, hostile land. We have crossed enemy lines. So, we must continue to abstain from the things that will cause us to appear as if we are citizens here.

--An ambassador is immune to the laws of the country he/she is an ambassador to. In other words, when one is an ambassador from the US to Israel, he/she is not bound by Israel's laws. He/she is bound by US laws. We too are not bound by the laws that govern this world. The laws that govern this world are independence, lust, greed, selfishness, etc. As ambassadors of Christ we are bound by the laws of the Kingdom, which are: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Gal. 5:22). Although the representatives of this world may tell us that we must abide by these laws if our life is to be "all it is meant to be," we must remember that it is the law of the Kingdom that we must abide by. Besides, we must remember that in this world, our lives will never be what they are meant to be...we don't belong here; our lives will be what they are meant to be when we are back home.

Since we are ambassadors, tension will always exist. We are in between two worlds: the Kingdom and this world. Since there will always be tension, things will not always make sense. There will be loss. There will be tears. There will be times when we forget where our citizenship is. Therefore, we must continue to remind ourselves that this world is not about ME. It is not about MY desires...MY dreams, etc. We are here as representatives of Christ. Therefore, we must allow Him to shape our desires and dreams, remembering consistently to pursue reconciliation with God because He is making His plea through us.

Continue on Fellow Ambassadors!