Friday, April 30, 2004

The morning awoke weary and sudden
As you walked with your first born
To God's mountain.

With faith in your feet
And hope in sight,
You knew everything would be alright.

"Where are we going, dad,"
Your precious son said.
"To offer up my lamb," you replied.

On the altar you had prepared,
His body you laid; assured
his life would be spared.

With the knife in hand, you raised your arm.
"Wait! Here I am,"
"Look, there is your lamb."


Abraham, what an incredible man of faith. I was reminded these last few days that I still have much to learn about faith. Abraham walked with his first born son, his heir, to a place where he would lay him down as an offering to God. However, just in time, as God always is, He stopped Abraham, providing a substitutionary sacrifice, a lamb stuck in the thicket. Abraham found favor in God's sight because Abraham was willing to lay down what was most valuable to him, his son.

As I was reflecting on Gracelyn going to the doctor and having the clot drained from her cheek, I was reminded why I was struggling so much with it. I could not control it. I couldn't fix it. I had to leave her in the hands of another.

Abraham, with the knife in his hands, too left his child in the hands of another.

I still have much to learn about faith. I hold on too tightly. I attempt to control things that I shouldn't. I am certain more tests of faith will come. May God continue to teach me that faith involves releasing control of those things we love the most.

Thank you all for your prayers for Gracelyn. She is doing very well. I am not only encouraged by her resilience, but am thankful because God thinks of a four year old. He consistently reminded me throughout this that He loved her, and she was His daughter before she was ever mine.

I give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever!