Thursday, March 04, 2004

Kristi and I were having a conversation the other evening about a conversation that she had with a woman at work regarding the movie by Mel Gibson, the Passion of the Christ. This woman was very upset about the portayal of Christ in the film because all she saw was suffering. She kept saying, "What's the purpose? People still suffer today."

I was thinking about this today as I was reading through 1 Peter, and I didn't find a whole lot of answers as to why suffering still happens today. In fact, I don't think that when Peter wrote his letter that he wanted to explain specifically why people suffer. It seems that his purpose was to encourage them that they are not alone. They suffer as Christ suffered, and they should have hope because just as Christ was glorified after his suffering, so they too will be when salvation comes in its completion.

so, I'm not completely sure why many suffer today, but I do know that Jesus has not left us alone in our suffering. We can be encouraged that Jesus suffered as we suffer. We can also be encouraged that our brothers and sisters around the world endure suffering as well. So, I don't think we should try to explain why we suffer. We can't. It is a mystery. However, there is peace in knowing that we are not alone.

Whatever it is that you are suffering through, I want you to know that I suffer as well. I get discouraged, afraid, confused, and weary. I want you to know the same thing that Peter wanted his readers to know: Suffering is part of the refining process of our faith (1 Peter 1:7). In the midst of our suffering, we must purpose to have the same humble mind as Christ (1 Peter 4:1ff). Let's continue to cast all of our concerns on the God who cares for us, knowing that in His time He will exalt us, just as He did with Christ (1 Peter 5:6, 7). Finally, let's continually remind ourselves that the God of all grace, who called us for His purpose and His glory will restore us, make us strong, firm, and steadfast. (1 Peter 5:10). For His is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever and ever. AMEN!