Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Mystery of Mercy

My God, my God why hast thou accepted me
When all my love was vinegar to a thirsty king
My God, my God why has thou accepted me
It's a mystery of mercy and the song I sing (Caedmons Call)

I really like it when a songwriter is able to grab a hold of my heart and play it as his instrument. That is the case with the song that contains these lyrics.

I am not certain why God has accepted me because I so readily reject Him when His way is not quick enough. Then there are those times when I am going through the motions of worship, offering to Him what I think is worship, but it is only vinegar...probably because I worship His Word more than Him...I worship His songs more than Him...I worship His church more than Him. I do not know why God has accepted me. It is definitely a mystery of mercy!

As I think through this the question that I cannot escape is: why do we feel as if it is necessary to explain everything about God? Sometimes we are so willing to explain everything about God that our explanation becomes our doctrine, and our doctrine becomes our god. Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying that we should completely throw out doctrine because I think doctrine gives us an opportunity to pursue the truth of God. However, it in and of itself is not our pursuit of God. So, what is the solution? We must let God be mysterious...we can only know about Him as much as He will reveal about Himself to us. When God is mysterious, we are more willing to passionately pursue Him because we don't know everything about Him...there is more we want Him to reveal about Himself.

It is my prayer that I would read doctrine to get a better understand of the truth of God, but also that I would allow God to remain mysterious, so that I will pursue Him more. Lord, teach me the balance between doctrine and mystery...remind me that Your thoughts are not my thoughts, and Your ways are higher than my ways (Isa. 55:8,9).

Lord, I do not completely comprehend You, nor do I comprehend why You have so often accepted me. I thank You for not treating me in the way that my sins deserve. Thank You for Your mysterious mercy. May it be the song that I sing!