Sunday, July 26, 2009

I've been in a bit of a writing slump lately. I try to paint creativity in my brain and weave words together that will move someone...maybe even me. The words show up. They don't dance with each other. There isn't a unity of thought. It all seems so chaotic. I've been here before. Every songwriter goes through lulls...especially the sober ones. Maybe soon the lyrics, melodies, and imagery will dance together and create a song worth singing. However, I heard a song today that is better than anyone could have ever written. It will never win any type of Grammy. It will never get worldwide radio play. But people fall in love to it all of the time. It brings a smile to a room full of flannel shirt wearing "teen-angsters". It's a melody we've all heard before, but it NEVER gets old.

It's laughter.

I was reminded tonight of how much I love this song. My children were at a birthday party laughing, running, and splashing in a water park with others who were doing the same. I couldn't help myself. I laughed out loud. Their laughter plucked on my heart strings and the harmony of boys laughing with girls made for the best song I've ever heard.

I can't wait to listen to it again.

I wonder if I can buy it on iTunes. Probably not.